2017/06/28

I Am Fresh Out Of College And Want to Be A Data Scientist (Part 1)

I want to write this blog to remember the past two years since I graduated from the graduate program in 2014 November. I get questions like these a lot. 

  • I did not graduate from Ivy League schools. How could I get an interview?
  • I did not how to code. Where should I learn about how to program?
  • Which programming languages should I start learning first?
  • I don't have a Ph.D. degree. What should I do?
I want to walk you step by step about how I landed a job as a Data Scientist. 





                                                 2 Months After Graduation                                               
Keywords: SQL, Connections, and 350+ applications

Story #1: SQL
I was aware of that no matter no matter what projects, purely data analysis or fancy machine learning, the job descriptions asked the same skill - SQL. Unfortunately, SQL was not listed in the curriculum of my school so I cut out all my social activities and self-taught SQL for 1 month. 
"School cannot provide and prepare yourself everything the industries are looking for. So get your hands dirty and start practicing coding."
Story #2: Connections
I reached out my friends and professors about looking for a job in the tech industries and was very lucky that my friend referred me to an opening position at Amazon. At first, I did not know how to describe the ideal job position to my friends because I knew so little about the industries. Later on, the more people I reached, the more I knew about the variety of interesting positions and projects in tech, the clearer I could see about the job I wanted to take. 

An advanced degree in Ivy League schools could open up a lot of phone interview opportunities to a candidate. However, I also met excellent engineers later on in the next two years who graduated from high school and dropped out of college.

Story #3: Sending 350+ applications
I sent out my resumes for at least 350 positions when I graduated from college. I eventually got a lot of calls, average 3 to 5 weekly. My friend told me that he wrote a script for submitting his resume automatically through API based on the keywords in the job descriptions, which eventually helps him reach out a lot of recruiters. 


Even though my first job was not Data Scientist, I felt very grateful for everything I learned at Amazon, like how to use SQL to answer business questions in the real world. My first job as a BI Engineer prepared me with better SQL skills and better understanding in data engineerings than any of my previous internships, but at the same time, I was farther and farther from the statistics world, where most of the data scientists are dedicated to putting efforts in. Read my next blog I Am Fresh Out Of College And Want to Be A Data Scientist (Part 2) . 








3 comments:

  1. After looking into a handful of the blog articles on your site, I really like your technique of writing a blog. I book marked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the near future. Take a look at my website as well and let me know your opinion.
    Digital Marketing Training in Chennai
    Dot Net Training in Chennai
    Hadoop Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too excellent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous site..
    Growth Hacking Training in Chennai
    Ethical Hacking Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe all of the concepts you’ve introduced in your post. They’re very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too short for novices. May you please extend them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.
    Office Interior Designers in Coimbatore
    Office Interior Designers in Bangalore
    Office Interior Designers in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete